100% Effective Personal Statement Examples for Jobs Application
Did you know that unemployment in the USA is now at 4.9% as of June 2016? Although nearly 5% is not the highest it’s ever been, you still certainly want to make sure that you’re on the right side of the 95%. A good job application personal statement or cover letter is a great way to do that. It allows you to show your individuality and your skills in a unique way. But how can you write one?
Steps for Writing the Perfect Personal Statement
Writing the perfect personal statement doesn’t have to be hard. Just follow these steps and find some personal statement samples.
- Read the job listing carefully: Avoid misreading by reading two or three times.
- Make an outline with notes: This will help smooth the writing process later.
- Use a voice you’re comfortable with: Talk like yourself, not like someone else – dictate into a microphone and transcribe if need be.
- Get someone to read it over for you: Typos make your statement go instantly into the trash.
Job Application Statement Tips
What should you keep and get rid of? This list can help you figure it out.
- Get rid of your hobbies: To be blunt, nobody cares.
- Keep transferable skills: No matter where you got them, just show how they can be relevant.
- Get rid of vague vocab: “I’m a long-term thinker” really says nothing – you just can’t prove it.
- Keep concrete numbers: On the other hand, “I increased efficiency by 6.5%” is a great thing to say because it’s something you can back up.
- Get rid of jokes: They’re probably not funny enough to be worth the risk.
- Keep your own voice: You want to sound unique, after all.
Buzzwords and Trends in Personal Statements for Jobs
What trends do you need to know for job application personal statements? Here are the most important ones.
- Make sure that you tweak each personal statement for the job you’re applying for – one size doesn’t fit all.
- Tweak each of your experiences to be relevant, so that it’s clear what they can help you contribute to the job.
- Be certain that you include plenty of action words that demonstrate your capability
This last point edges into the category of buzzwords. The latest buzzwords aren’t specific words, but rather action verbs like controlled, managed, and so on, that show what you did as well as what your responsibilities were. They make you look more proactive than flat, boring words.
Personal Statement Examples for Jobs
To get the perfect personal statement for a job, here is the ideal outline.
- First paragraph: State the job for which you are applying and how you came to find it.
- Second paragraph: Discuss what makes you qualified for this particular position. Here’s where you put all your education and experience.
- Third paragraph: Talk briefly about what you can contribute to the company by being in the position you’re applying for.
- Fourth paragraph: Mention a little bit about your long-term goals, and wrap it up by thanking the reader for the opportunity.
Get the Job You Deserve with a Great Personal Statement
The job market is a tough place, but with a little help, you can overcome it. Getting the right UK personal statement examples or cover letter samples is only a few steps away. Don’t let the blank page intimidate you – get the job you deserve right now.